Thursday, May 25, 2006

BellSouth is not answering the phone

Today I called BellSouth customer service to ask for details about how much of my own calling information had been shared with the government. A pleasant fellow named Mr. Richardson answered my call, and politely explained that "At the present time there is no documentation that we can share with the public." I then asked who I could talk to to get more information. He typed furiously into his computer and said that the only thing he could do is refer me to the public statement BellSouth issued recently in which they denied having any "contract" with the government to povide customer calling information.

I pointed out that this statement just stated that there was no contractual agreement to share information, not that no information had been shared. Again, Mr. Richardson referred me to the statement. I asked to speak with someone in the media department who was responsible for the statement. He said he did not have that information, but gave me an address where I could write a request: 500 Chastain Blvd NW, Ste 505, Kennesaw, GA 30144. "I thought this was as customer service line," I said. "It is, sir, but I can only give you information about your account here."

"This is about my account," I said, and went on to say that I have been considering dropping BellSouth in favor of internet phone, and that if I couldn't be sure BellSouth was going to protect my privacy I had no incentive to stay with the company. "I understand, sir," Mr. Richardson said.

I did look at the BellSouth website to see if there was any other contact information, but all they give you is the customer service line. Funny, how you can't get any service there when it comes to your privacy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home