Monday, August 29, 2005

Resisting Recruitment

Everytime I hear about another soldier killed in Iraq, I think of Marine Private named Chad, and I wonder where he is and if he's safe. He was my student, a kid who had struggled with truancy, delinquency and family problems to proudly graduate high school in 2004. Now he's somewhere in Iraq.

I became principal of the alternative school where he was a student during Chad's senior year. At that time he was already committed to the Marines. We talked about the war, and while he knew that I was opposed to it, I never tried to actively dissuade him from going ahead with his enlistment. Chad was not gung-ho in an obnoxious sort of way, but was quietly proud of his plans and wanted to do something good for his community after many years of what he consider a misspent adolescence.

As a teacher and school administrator, I have really struggled with military recruitment in the schools. There is no doubt that the structure and discipline of the military, the sense of purpose and belonging it provides, the escape from poverty and desperation, makes it an attractive option for kids who are "at-risk." And during times of peace, I probably wouldn't hesitate to support their interest in the military. After all, I'm not a genuine pacifist, though I think Jesus wants me to be. I think there may be a slim possibility that such a thing as a just war might really exist, and so we need a military of some kind.

But this war is not just. And while I am proud that Chad is following his dreams, I am just plain pissed that my government is willing to sacrifice such a brave young man for a war based entirely on lies. And as an educator, I can no longer support any military recruitment efforts in our schools.

Others are coming to this realization too. Karen Houppert investigates some of the military's more henious recruitment practices in the current issue of The Nation. I identified some of these tactics personally. Less than six months ago an Army recruiter sat in my office and asked me to lie about a student's graduation status in order to exepdite his recruitment. This kind of nonsense led to a nationwide standdown of military recruiters back in the Spring.

Military service is a proud tradition in the South. We have many friends and relatives who have served. Because of this proud tradition, the government is invested with a sacred trust to never put these men and women in harm's way unless it is absolutely necessary for the preservation of our freedom. Bluenecks need to support the troops by resisting military recruitment efforts that will inevitably make cannon fodder of our best and brightest, like Chad.

I hope he comes home safe...and soon.
-G

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home