Thursday, August 16, 2007

Where's the Media?

Knoxville New Patriots

I shined my shoes and gave a speech about the ridiculous cost of the war today, and a lot of cool people showed up. Our MoveOn press conference went off without a hitch: we did our prep work, had our report, made our speech, held our giant check, and waited. The trouble is that our three TV network stations and one newspaper did not bother to show up.

WNOX, and WIVK sent reporters and did an interview. Ann Lloyd of WUOT rang me up a couple of hours later and did a phone interview. We even got on the AP daybook. But where were print and TV? The newsrooms got plenty of calls, and they all got a release.

Everybody should send them an email and ask why they didn't cover this important story.

WBIR TV 10 News
email: news@wbir.com

WATE TV 6 News
newsroom@wate.com

WVLT TV 8 News
steven.crabtree@wvlt-tv.com

Knoxville News Sentinel
news@knews.com

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Todd,
I've never done this before so forgive me if I don't do it right.

I attended a Move-On demonstration at the Whittle Federal Building where we read letters from service people's families upset about the war. There was a TV station or maybe two there, but the crowd was very small. I watched the 11 o'clock news, but the story didn't make the cut.

I hate to say it, but it is numbers of people that get coverage. Your message is so important, but it means nothing without huge numbers of people willing to go here or there for the press event.

How do you wake people up to the carnage and waste of vast resources? It is so sad. I wish I knew the answer. I'm 50 and have lived in East Tennessee all my life. My family raised me to be a life-long liberal. (No conservative, facsist is going to make me change what I call myself no matter how much they lie about what a liberal is.) I have 4 kids that I have also, proud to say, are liberals.

East Tennessee is a tough place to live ideologically speaking. I applaud you and all liberals efforts. However, if it was my job as news director, I wouldn't show up either until large numbers are there. "Butts in seats" are unfortunately all that matter.

I'm going to post my e-mail because I haven't advanced technologically enough to blog and read responses regularly. I got this info from an e-mail. I've given money to the Move-On on the internet and I would do it locally if contacted. Anyway, just because there wasn't coverage, don't get discouraged. We still need to atand for what is correct even in this sea of the right-wing, fascist conservative Republican dogma of East Tennessee.

dtwiggs@charter.net

6:58 AM, August 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home