Saturday, September 17, 2005

John Edwards 2008?

"We believe in giving voice to those who have no voice. That's what the Democratic Party is supposed to be about."
--John Edwards

Okay, so I'm seriously jumping the gun here. Progressives need to focus on two major issues right now. The time is ripe for the anti-war movement to turn the tide and rally public opinion and get Congress to commit to a date for a pull-out from Iraq. Secondly, the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina has exposed American poverty for what it is to comfortable folks who thought we didn't really have those problems anymore, and now maybe we can do something about it.

And, we need to focus on the 2006 mid-term Congressional elections, where rising anti-war and anti-poverty sentiments might make a difference and break the Republicans' rule.

Still...it's hard to avoid the allure of the Big Dance, even with it being three years away. And John Edwards, my personal pick for the nomination in 2004, is saying all the right things while he quietly positions himself for a run. His theme of "two Americas" resonated with those who remember what the Democratic party used to be about. Bluenecks identify with Edwards immediately, and history teaches us that the electorate easily follows a Southern progressive. Since FDR, every single Dem elected president with the exception of John Kennedy was a Southerner (if you count Harry Truman's Missouri as the South, which I do).

And for Pete's sake, let's please drop all this Hillary business!

Look, I know Edwards isn't the perfect candidate. His biggest liability right now was his support for the invasion of Iraq. But the Nation's John Nichols finds some hope on this issue, too, as Edward's wife Elizabeth wrote a passionate letter in support of Cindy Sheehan's vigil this summer. Anyway, I welcome comments and discussion on this issue, and if you're ready to carry the Edwards banner in 2008, you can go ahead and get your t-shirts and bumperstickers here (and while you're at it pick up some Bluenecks gear, too).
-G

1 Comments:

Blogger Todd Duren said...

Thank you so much for this thoughtful comment! I agree completely that abortion is a major problem for Democrats. I have hesitated to write about it here, but my blog co-writer knows that I have serious, serious reservations and concerns about this issue, too, (he's pushed me to write about it, but I've hesitated) and even as I wrote about Edwards, I thought to myself, "The war isn't the only liability here."

I think there may be many other Bluenecks who want a little more serious debate on this issue within the party.

I do think there is room for compromise, dialogue and collaborative work to reduce the number of abortions in this country. I've just picked up Jim Wallis' book "God Politics," and he tackles this issue with some depth, focusing on how everyone ought to be able to agree that we need to work to reduce the number of abortions without getting mired down in the old debates about the proper scope of the Fourth Amendment. Maybe I can get my mind around it enough to finally write about it. Please keep up the discussion!
-G

2:53 PM, September 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home